Lauren E. Aguiar represents U.S. and international clients in litigation and arbitration involving a wide range of commercial matters. Her experience includes federal and state court litigation, with a focus on complex, high-profile cases and trial practice.
Ms. Aguiar has represented clients in a variety of industries, as both plaintiffs and defendants, in a broad range of civil matters, including false advertising, copyright, trade secret, breach of contract, fraud and fiduciary duty litigation; joint venture and partnership disputes; and shareholder class actions.
Some of the more significant matters in which she has been involved include:
- trial counsel for International Flavors & Fragrances, Inc. in a trade secret and breach of contract case in the District of New Jersey;
- litigation counsel for Fresh Del Monte Produce, Inc. in various ongoing lawsuits and arbitrations to protect its global trademarks, licensing rights and supply contracts — including a successful jury trial against Del Monte Corporation involving false advertising and breach of contract claims. This trial victory was featured in Law360’s “How They Won It” column (May 23, 2012);
- counsel for Endo Pharmaceuticals in a breach of contract and declaratory judgment action against Chartwell Therapeutics, arising out of a generic pharmaceutical distribution agreement;
- trial counsel for Norwest Equity Partners in an expedited litigation in Delaware Chancery Court involving claims to a post-closing escrow account;
- trial counsel for pharmaceutical company Impax Laboratories, Inc. in the Southern District of New York, resulting in the successful settlement of the litigation;
- member of the trial team in federal and state class action litigation in California for a global automobile manufacturer regarding widely publicized vehicle recalls;
- defended Verizon Wireless in expedited litigation in the District of Georgia against allegations of false advertising;
- represented Spectrum Brands, Inc. in its successful trial in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Texas involving a consortium of lenders;
- defended MGA Entertainment in the Mattel v. MGA three-month jury trial in the Central District of California, a $1.8 billion case involving copyright infringement and various state law tort claims;
- defended Storm Networks in expedited litigation in the Northern District of New York against allegations of breach of contract and tortious interference;
- served as counsel for Jakks Pacific in
a AAA arbitration involving a joint venture agreement;
- represented Huntleigh USA Corporation in a trial in the United States Court of Federal Claims in its action against the federal government asserting
a takings claim under the Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution;
- represented Starr International, Inc. and Maurice Greenberg in various lawsuits involving American International Group; and
- represented an aircraft leasing subsidiary of the
SwissAir Group in a case against Airbus Industries in the Commercial Division of New York State Supreme Court.
Ms. Aguiar regularly litigates in Surrogate’s Court, where she has led trust and estate litigations, including the representation of trustees in an action to remove them for alleged breaches of fiduciary duty; and a high-profile, protracted will contest involving allegations of incapacity and undue influence.
Over the years, she also has done a substantial number of internal investigations and compliance reviews, concerning allegations of securities fraud, accounting fraud, violations of the FCPA and insider trading. She has been involved with investigations by various regulatory bodies including the Securities and Exchange Commission, NYSE, FINRA and the Federal Trade Commission.
Ms. Aguiar is the chairperson of the Skadden Foundation, which runs the Skadden Fellowship Program.
She was selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2015 and 2016. Ms. Aguiar was shortlisted by Chambers for its Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year award in 2016. She also is a Fellow in the Litigation Counsel of America (an invitation-only trial lawyer honorary society) and was named a Rising Star in the 2016 edition of Benchmark Litigation. Ms. Aguiar also has repeatedly been cited by the Latin America Corporate Counsel Association (
LACCA) as a leading litigation practitioner.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
1 Course by Lauren Aguiar
Lauren's courses have 284 total views