Born New York, New York. Admitted to bar: 1985, New York; 1986, U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York; 1987, U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit; 1993, Massachusetts; 1997, U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit; 1999, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit; 2005 U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit; 2008, U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit. Education: Princeton University (A.B., 1978); New York University (J.D., cum laude, 1984).
By almost anyone’s account, Ms. Bierstein is one of the premier appellate brief-writers and oral advocates in the nation. She is highly experienced in virtually all forms of civil litigation and is a former law professor who designed and taught a civil litigation clinic and taught courses in Evidence and Remedies. She has made the roster of New York Super Lawyers in each year from 2007 to 2011.
- In Re: Depuy Orthopaedics, Inc. Pinnacle Hip Implant Product Liability Litigation, MDL 2244 (N. D. Tex.): (representing individuals injured by defective metal-on-metal hip implants)
- Jean-Charles v. Perlitz, 3:11cv614 (RNC) (D. Conn.) and St. Louis v. Perlitz, No.: 3:13-cv-01132 (RNC) (representing victims of pedophile)
- ISynergetics USA, Inc. v. Alcon Laboratories, Inc. and Alcon, Inc., 2008-cv-3669 (DLC) (S.D.N.Y.) (plaintiff's contingency fee antitrust suit; settlement of $32 million and fee of $10.5 million);
- In re Oil Spill by the Oil Rig “Deepwater Horizon” in the Gulf Of Mexico, on April 20, 2010 litigation (environmental litigation);
- Easton Capital Management v. Rush, No. 09 Civ. 1307 (S.D.N.Y.) (representing venture capital investment funds prosecuting fraud and related claims arising from their investments in a medical device company);
- In re Gadolinium-Based Contrast Agents Products Liability Litigation, MDL 1909 (N.D. Ohio) (representing individuals injured by contrast media used in MRIs)
- In re Terrorist Attacks on September 11, 2001, MDL 1570 (S.D.N.Y) (argued appeal in Second Circuit)
- In re Zyprexa Litigation, MDL 1596 (E.D.N.Y.) (third-party payer class action)
- Reid v. Siniscalchi, No. 2874-VCN (Delaware Chancery) (representing investor in a derivative action involving claims arising from a joint venture to finance Russian communications satellites)
- In re OxyContin, 15 Misc.3d 388, 833 N.Y.S.2d 357 (Sup. Ct. Richmond Co. N.Y.Sup. 2007)
- Class actions and individual actions involving franchisees suing franchisor and other parties for breach of contract
- Bartold v. Glendale Federal Bank, 81 Cal.App.4th 816, 97 Cal.Rptr.2d 226 (2000) (successful appeal)
- Ramadan v. Chase Manhattan Corp., 156 F.3d 499 (3rd Cir. 1998) (successful appeal)
- Class actions against automobile financing companies seeking recovery of illegal charges assessed at early termination of car leases
- Class action seeking refund of unconstitutional tax on out-of-state companies
- Class actions against banks and mortgages companies over failure timely to clear liens upon satisfaction of home loans
Ms. Bierstein resides in New York City.
by Andrea Bierstein
Andrea's courses have total views