In this informative and comprehensive presentation by attorney Brian Mittman, practitioners will learn the history behind social security disability, the purposes of the program and its current state. In addition, they will recognize what benefits are available, what is needed to make a successful claim, an overview of the application and hearing process, and the main players in that process. At the end of the course, attorneys will be able to identify if clients have a claim, and what to do when representing them.
I. Grasp the history, purpose and current state of Social Security Disability
II. Identify what benefits are available
III. Gain familiarity with the application and hearing process
IV. Recognize main players in the process
This course originally appeared as a part of our February 2015 Bridge the Gap Event.
Areas of Practice:
- Workers' Compensation Law (State, Federal, Longshore)
- Social Secuirty Disabilty
- Long Term Disability
- Personal Injury and Accidents
- General Litigation
- Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, New York, 1994 J.D - Cum Laude, Richardson Merit Scholar
- University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, 1991 B.A. Political Science - Cum Laude
- Upper Dublin High School, Fort Washington, PA, 1987 - National Merit Honor Society
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Board of Directors - Society of New York Workers' Compensation Bar Association, Inc.
- Board of Directors (Westchester County:Peekskill Regional Director) - Injured Workers' Bar Association
- Board of Directors - New York Workers Compensation Alliance
- Board of Directors - White Plains Bar Association
- Member - CCLP - The Coalition for Concerned Legal Professionals
- Member - New York State Bar Association
- Member - White Plains Bar Association
- Member - Westchester County Bar Association
- Member - Westchester Womens Bar Association
- Member - Justice Louis Brandis Legal Foudation
- Member - Jewish Lawyers Guild
- Member - New York State Trial Lawyers Institiute
- Member - New York County Lawyers Associatiom
- Member - Mt. Vernon Bar Association
- Instittute for Jewish Humanities - Attorney of the Year 2006
Presentations & Speeches:
-The 2008 Streamlined Docket "Rocket Docket" Regulations - An Overview - Presented at the Injured Workers Bar Association Fall 2008 Albancy CLE Conference
- New York State Workers Compensation Law Update/Recent Changes, November 18, 2008 - Bronx County Bar Association
-The Basics of Workers' Compensation 2007 - Lorman Education CLE series
-The Basics of Workers; Compensation 2008 - Lorman Education CLE series
-What you Ned to Know about the 2007 Workers Compensation Law Sept 18 2007 - Westchester County Bar Association CLE
- The Basics of Workers Compensation 2009 - Lorman Education CLE series
- New York State - January 1995
- Pediatric Cancer Foundation - helping to hold the hand of a child, especially when dealing with cancer, is truly a worthy cause. For more information check out their link at PCFWEB.ORG and feel free to make a donation.
- Outside of the office I coach multiple teams for my children including basketball, baseball and soccer. I also am an advid ice hockey player and I skate for two teams througout the year and encourage anyone to start in the wonderful beginner/adult program offered by Hockey North America!
I liked this presenter.
good use of samples, and easy to follow
Did some pro bono soc sec work, this was a good primer
Very good presentation, want to go back and watch certain sections again, particularly portions of the discussion dealing with some of the history and financial realities of the social security system and also some of the long term disability insurance pointers.
very good presenter
Good practical advice and tips
Very good primer lecture.
Great info on SSA
Great speaker.... knowledgeable and great pace on a difficult topic.
This presentation was excellent. Very informative! Super.
One of the best courses I've had so far.
Very good course.
Presenter was excellent.
One of the best. A difficult area.
Very good presenter and easy to follow. Will listen to his other courses. Thank you.
A very good survey of the basics in a short time.
very clear presentation
Very good summary with practical guidance
I would refer these cases to attorneys like the instructor. Very good and obviously a specialty. I chose this subject to better understand what a few friends have endured to get disability.
great intro. very useful
Genuinely likable speaker.
Interesting material on SS.
Great presenter! He is very knowledgeable about this subject, and the presentation is informative--even to attorneys who practice in this area.
Helpful in providing basic knowledge that I did not have. Now, I can answer a lot of questions posed by family and friends!
Very pleasing manner. Substantive and well organized.
materials did not download and also the frame of the video did not always include the screen that attorney was viewing
Excellent talk for those of us who do not handle these type of cases so now I feel I can intelligently speak to my clients who have S.S.D. claims.
Nice detailed and practical lecture
Really great speaker. FIVE STARS!
great information and equally great presentation.
I enjoyed this program. He knows his stuff and didn't put on airs.
Very good overview of the issues and procedures. Very effective presenter.
Really good overview. Thank you.
Brian was very interesting. A great speaker who was organized, informative and very practical. One of my favorite courses thus far.
Interesting area of the law.
Best Lawline instructor i have heard in over 3 years of being a Lawline client.
Great presentation, very methodical. useful info for all practitioners with direct client contact.
Presentation was well-organized and Speaker was attune to what audience needed to know about the subject matter.
This presenter combined the right balance of personal experience with direct information. Very well done! Also, as a lawyer with a disability, I always find these lectures and this topic amusing.
He really opened my eyes to this area, and I enjoyed his presentation.
Excellent ! Will get into this area more
Speaker offers useful functional information limiting the theoretical, which puts me to sleep. Great CLE.
VERY solid presentation - I will soon take this team's mock disability hearing.
Unlimited CLE Subscription gives you access to take almost any course from our catalog and earn as much CLE credit as you need.