This lecture summarizes case law, strategy, and tactics as to the Illinois law of accountability. The lecture summarizes and synthesizes the leading accountability cases and also deals with related topics such as felony murder. Lastly, the lecture discusses the trial of an accountability cases, including evidence, jury instruction, and closing argument.
This course is pre-approved for CLE credit in the following states. If your state is not listed, contact support for more information on how to receive credit
Areas of Practice
• Murder -- Homicide -- Death Penalty Cases
• Serious Felonies
• Drug / Weapons Cases
• Appeals -- Post-Convictions
• Sentencing -- Mitigation
• Civil Rights/1983
• Legal Education
• Legal Ethics
• 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
• Certified Lead Counsel, Capital Litigation Trial Bar, Illinois Supreme Court, 2001
• Illinois, 1985
• U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 2008
• Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, New York
o J.D. - 1983
o Honors: Order of Barristers, Moot Court
• University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
o Honors: With Honors
o Major: History
• Reasonable Doubt Redux, 34 John Marshall L. Rev. 495, 2001
• The Admissibility of Expert Testimony, American Bar Association, 2003
• People v. Terry Griggs, 152 Ill.2d 1, 604 N.E.2d 257 (Ill. S. Ct. 1992)
• People v. Arthur King, 154 Ill.2d 217, 608 N.E.2d 877 (Ill. S. Ct. 1993)
• New Ideas for Jury Selection, Illinois Public Defender Association, 2007
• Capital Jury Selection, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal, 2007
Honors and Awards
• Kutak-Dodds Award, Defender Prize, National Legal Aid and Defender Association, 2003
Professional Associations and Memberships
• Illinois Public Defender Association, President, 2006 - 2008
• Illinois Public Defender Association, Board Member, 2000 - Present
Past Employment Positions
• Office of the State Appellate Defender, Deputy Defender, 2000 - 2008
• Law Office of the Cook County Public Defender, Assistant Public Defender, 1989 - 2000
Very engaging presenter.
Mr. Richards is excellent.
Always like personal relevant cases.
I will watch anything presented by Stephen Richards, as he is always enlightening. Excellent review of the felony murder rule.
An excellent discussion of the law and relevant cases
He certainly knew his "stuff."
Very informative and interesting
This was the best so far! I have encountered this problem and it his focus was helpful. Excellent.
Once again, I enjoyed this program and found the instructor quite knowledgeable and informative.
Nice presentation with wonderful examples
Extremely well informed presentation. A must course for any criminal defense attorney in Illinois.
Very knowledgeable and articulate presenter, and very effective communicator. I particularly appreciate that he uses personal experiences in the courtroom to help illustrate his points.
Good content and delivery by a knowledgeable and seasoned practitioner. Richards excels on this topic. One of Lawline’s best ever. Lawline, please invite him to speak again! From Reagan to Clinton, Kennedy to Dole, Abraham Lincoln to Oprah Winfrey and Mother Theresa to the Earl Spencer, Richards gives a forceful, persuasive, relevant program that will resonate with audiences. Engaging and informative (entertaining) use of case examples. Notably, and importantly, "my client is my client."