The Virginia Property Lawyer's Guide to Local Government Advocacy
Created on December 29, 2020
Throughout the Commonwealth, homeowners struggle to navigate the complex system of permits and approvals they need to develop their property. They want variances. They want tax abatement. They want environmental impact permits. But they don't know where to begin getting them. Can you blame them? Even experienced lawyers can be mystified by the inner workings of local government agencies. An understanding of your city or county's boards, commissions, and administrative bodies sets you apart from other attorneys and can be a pathway into a new practice area.
This program provides a full toolbox for advocating on behalf of your clients before local government agencies. You will learn about the various statutes that govern property development in Virginia, including federal environmental regulations, zoning ordinances, and state technical specifications. You will understand the process of applying for permits, working with local government staff, advocating before local boards, and appealing decisions. This course also covers criminal defense for maintenance and zoning violations and tax assessment appeals.
Presented by Tobias Eisenlohr, a former government attorney turned private practitioner, this program will benefit attorneys with a property and real estate practice area.
- Identify the agencies and legislative bodies responsible for regulations impacting property owners
- Review how local ordinances are proposed, presented, and amended by city councils and county boards of commissioners
- Advocate on behalf of clients before local government boards and commissions, such as the Wetlands Board or the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Area board
- Work with municipal departments to prepare variances and permit applications
- Appeal local government decisions to local boards of zoning appeals, state technical review boards, state tax assessment agencies, and federal commissions
- Seek out tax credits and bonuses that may be available to clients for home development and construction
- Master tactics for defending clients from criminal charges stemming from maintenance, zoning, and environmental codes
Gain access to this course, plus unlimited access to 1,500+ courses, with an Unlimited Subscription.Explore Lawline Subscriptions