James Rieger has a broad corporate and securities law practice. James represents public and private companies, hedge funds, merchant banks, private equity funds, exchange traded funds, venture capital funds, investment banks, underwriters, and private investors in many types of transactions, including public and private debt and equity offerings, credit facilities, mergers, acquisitions, fund formation, activist investments, restructurings and divestitures of assets and divisions. James counsels companies and funds on their filings under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and their participation in tender offers, proxy contests, and other hostile takeover actions. James also handles general corporate matters, including employment agreements, contracts, cannabis-related matters, and joint venture agreements.
A representative sample of James' private equity-related experience follows:
- Representation of Life Sciences fund in taking control of a publicly-traded Canadian medical marijuana company.
- Representation of real estate private equity fund in fund formation.
- Representation of timber fund in fund formation and seeding.
- Representation of a solar fund in fund formation and seeding.
- Representation of an investment adviser in micro-lending fund with backing from multi-lateral institutions.
- Representation of Latin-American focused private equity fund in fund formation.
- Representation of one of the sponsors of private equity fund management business in the formation and ongoing matters.
- Representation of one of the equity sponsors in the $14 billion club acquisition of a savings bank from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
- Representation of equity sponsor in the acquisition and recapitalization of an airline.
- Representation of equity sponsor in $400 million sales of helmet manufacturer to another private equity fund.
- Representation of equity participant in $150 million buyouts of publicly traded sporting goods manufacturer.
- Representation of a temporary staffing business in $70 million in sales to a private equity fund.
- Representation of management in connection with the recapitalization of private equity fund controlled temporary staffing business.
- Representation of a defense contractor in $10 million recapitalizations of private equity fund controlled entity.
- Representation of aircraft component manufacturer in $20 million recapitalizations by private equity fund.
- Representation of extended warranty business in $20 million in sales to a private equity fund.
- Representation of Latin-American focused private equity fund in a $25 million long-term credit facility from the quasi-governmental agency.
- Representation of medical products equipment supplier in $50 million sale to private equity fund.
- Representation of broker-dealers in $5 million in sales to a private equity fund.
- Representation of a consulting business in $10 million sales to a private equity fund.
- Representation of seed investor in $35 million investment in a new private equity fund and fund manager.
- Representation of private equity fund in $25 million purchase of stationery and gift items manufacturer.
- Representation of private equity fund in Section 363 acquisition of assets in bankruptcy.
- Representation of private equity fund in the recapitalization of security and alarm company and later provision of debtor-in-possession financing.
- State University of New York at Albany , 1988, BA
- Honors: Cum Laude
- Over 12 years as counsel and associated with the law firms Dechert LLP and Swidler Berlin Shereff Friedman, LLP
- Chair, New York State Bar Association Business Law Section's Mergers and Acquisitions Committee