Taxes at the Border: Understanding the Tax Consequences of Immigration Status
Streams live on Monday, June 14, 2021 at 02:00pm EDT
There are numerous tax considerations tied to immigration and residency status. When an individual becomes a U.S. citizen - or forfeits that status - there are income tax as well as estate and gift tax implications.
This program reviews the tax and immigration considerations relevant when individuals enter or leave the United States, including a review of pre-immigration concerns for E-2 and other investors commencing American taxpayer status, expatriation tax considerations for individuals renouncing American tax status, and prospective immigration-side options for individuals choosing to reject U.S. taxpayer status.
This program will benefit tax attorneys with immigrant clients and immigration attorneys seeking to understand their client’s tax issues.
- Identify which immigration changes create tax consequence
- Consider general tax issues when becoming a United States taxpayer
- Discuss general tax considerations for “covered expatriates” who relinquish U.S. taxpayer status
- Differentiate between relevant classification standards for income tax and transfer tax purposes
- Distinguish between major immigration status types
Gain access to this course, plus unlimited access to 1,500+ courses, with an Unlimited Subscription.Explore Lawline Subscriptions