Effective Online Mediation: Practice Tips for Mediators and Representatives
Created on April 15, 2021
In this program, experienced mediator, Simeon H Baum, Esq., President of Resolve Mediation Services, Inc. will provide insights for mediators and party representatives on best practices in virtual mediations. The course will present an overview of mediation; identify the challenges in participating in mediation without the benefit of in-person presence; offer recommendations for offsetting these challenges, and walk participants through the mechanics and components of an online Zoom mediation session.
Following a brief overview of mediation -- setting the scene for the question of whether the Zoom utility is effective for mediation and how best to use it -- the program next provides a nuts and bolts review of Zoom and its features applicable to mediation. We reflect on essential themes and practices for conducting effective Zoom mediation with skills-oriented practices, general and ethical reflections on how various mediation philosophies might lead to different assessments and uses of Zoom, a retrospective review of Zoom's use in mediation over the last; and a prospective consideration of uses of online tools for mediation even after a COVID-19 cure. Zoom practice tips will range from preparation: introductory Zoom pre-mediation conferences and party tutorials; appearance and management of the Zoom platform; opening joint sessions; the use of caucus; the use of screen sharing for presentations, group reflection and document analysis, and development of a shared MOU or Settlement Agreement; chat, breakout rooms, and other Zoom features.
This program will benefit both mediators and any attorneys engaged in the representation of parties in virtual mediation.
- Assess the best uses of Zoom and other online platforms in a range of meditation orientations
- Review the nuts and bolts of Zoom and the potential benefits for mediation
- Prepare for online mediation sessions
- Prepare the parties & clients for online mediation
- Manage the initial Joint Session
- Effectively caucus using Zoom breakout rooms
- Master screen sharing, chat, and other Zoom features to maximize use of the forum
- Develop rapport and connect with parties in a virtual setting
Gain access to this course, plus unlimited access to 1,700+ courses, with an Unlimited Subscription.Explore Lawline Subscriptions