Consumer Debt & Personal Bankruptcy 101
Created on February 06, 2017
In a weak economy, the trend of personal bankruptcy filings increase. Even in a strong economy, unfortunate and unexpected circumstances give rise to filings as well.
This course, presented by attorney Julie Cvek-Curley, provides an overview of personal bankruptcy proceedings for consumers in debt. She reviews why a filing may be need, what it accomplishes, and provides an overview of the filing process as a whole.
- Gain an introductory understanding of eligibility for personal bankruptcy and the different chapters of bankruptcy
- Understand how to conduct the intake meeting, including how to determine whether your client needs to file, and which chapter of bankruptcy is best for your client
- Identify best practices for preparing the Voluntary Petition and related filings
- Familiarize yourself with how to file the case, including what pleadings need to be filed so the case doesn’t get dismissed
- Grasp how to assess the case post-filing and pre-discharge, including understanding the attorney’s responsibilities
- Examine the Section 341(a) Meeting, including the purpose of the meeting and conduct during the meeting
- Comprehend the discharge process
Gain access to this course, plus unlimited access to 1,500+ courses, with an Unlimited Subscription.Explore Lawline Subscriptions