Tom has tried over 65 jury trials over the last 38 years as a federal prosecutor and in private practice. In addition to a nationwide litigation practice, he routinely advises clients on the labor and employment law aspects of doing business in other countries, a subject on which he frequently speaks and writes.
Prior to entering private practice, Tom was an Assistant United States Attorney for the District of Columbia from 1982 to 1986, where he served in the Chronic Offender Unit. He was the recipient of the US Department of Justice’s Special Achievement Award in 1986 for his successful prosecution of a number of cases of notoriety.
For four years, Tom served as a Lieutenant in the US Navy, from 1978 to 1982.
- Head of the McLean Labor and Employment Law Team.
- Represents clients in the manufacturing, financial services, health care and hospitality industries.
- Frequent lecturer and consultant on ethical and privilege issues arising in labor and employment law matters.
- Successfully defeated a recent motion for class certification in a wage and hour matter.
Awards & Recognition
- Fellow, College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, 2010
- Washington, DC Management Lawyer of the Year − Employment Law, The Best Lawyers in America, 2013 and 2015
- The Best Lawyers In America, Labor and Employment Law, 1992-2014
- Top 100 Washington, DC Super Lawyers, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Band 1, Labor and Employment Law, 2004-2014
- DC and Virginia Super Lawyers, Law & Politics magazine, Labor and Employment Law, 2000-2013
- The Legal Elite by Virginia Business magazine, 2014
- Achieved the highest rating in Martindale-Hubbell
- E. Randolph Williams Award for Exceptional Pro Bono Service, 2009-2010
- Employment Law CLE Planning Committee, Virginia CLE, 1986-present; Chair, 2007-2009
- Member, Virginia Law Foundation, Committee on Legal Education, 2009-present
- American Employment Law Council (Invitation Only Management-Side Employment Law Organization), 2010 - present
- Board of Directors, Arlington Chamber of Commerce, 1989-91, 1996-2005
- General Counsel, Fairfax Symphony Orchestra, 2008-present
- Leadership Arlington, Class of 2000
- Chair, Hearing Committee Ten, Board On Professional Responsibility, District of Columbia Bar, 1989-99
- Chair, Labor and Employment Law Section, Prince George's County Bar Association, 1991-93
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
1 Course by Thomas Murphy
Thomas's courses have 3,568 total views