Margaret Isa Butler focuses her practice on mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures, including real estate, asset
management and cross-border transactions. She also assists institutional limited partners with their fund investments and co-investments.
Margaret has broad deal advisory and execution experience, and she takes an interdisciplinary approach to her work, owing to her MBA and her experience as an investment banker. She has led the execution of complicated transactions and designed custom structures for investments, participations and business combinations. In the traditional M&A context, she has engaged in buy-side and
sell-side representations, including public company takeover defense and shareholder activism.
Areas of Concentration
acquisitions and joint ventures
- Private equity and real estate fund limited partner investments and co-investments
- Development of the Kingsbridge National Ice Center by KNIC LLC.
Programmatic joint venture between Westmount Realty Capital, LLC and Partners Group AG.
- Real estate fund investments by Colorado Public Employees' Retirement Association (
- $1.8 billion acquisition of Gentiva Health Services Inc. by Kindred Healthcare Inc.
- Acquisition of Acument Global Technologies, Inc., an affiliate of Platinum Equity, LLC, by Fontana America Inc.
- Acquisition by SFX Entertainment, Inc. of React Presents, Inc., West Loop Management I, LLC, and Totem OneLove Group Pty Ltd.
- Acquisition by Viggle Inc. of Choose Digital Inc., Dijit Media, Inc.
and wetpaint.com, Inc.
- Acquisition of AREA Property Partners, L.P. by Ares Management LLC.
- $30 million Section 363 asset acquisition from Digital Domain Media Group, Inc. by Galloping Horse America, LLC.°
- Acquisition of Advantage Resourcing Japan Business, an affiliate of Cerberus Capital Management L.P., by TechnoPro Holdings, an affiliate of CVC Capital Partners.°
- $410 million acquisition of Advantage Resourcing America, Inc. and Advantage Resourcing Europe, B.V., affiliates of Cerberus Capital Management L.P., by Recruit Co., Ltd.°
- Joint Venture for a Real Estate Development, led by Mount Kellett Capital Management LP.°
- $4 billion acquisition of Talecris Biotherapeutics by Grifols SA.°
- $45 million acquisition of majority interest in PrinceRidge Holdings LP by Institutional Financial Markets Inc.°
- Acquisition of majority interest in Keane Group Holdings LLC by KG Fracing Acquisition Corp., an affiliate of Cerberus Capital Management L.P.°
- $500 million acquisition of the Illumination and Detection Solutions Business of PerkinElmer, Inc. by Excelitas Technologies Corp., an affiliate of Veritas Capital Fund Management, L.L.C.°
- Joint Venture to develop Hudson Yards between Related Cos. and Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS).°
- Acquisition of United Toll Systems LLC by Roper Industries, Inc.°
- $60 million acquisition of Changing Worlds Ltd. By Amdocs.°
- Acquisition of Atreus Systems by Sonus Networks.°
- Attempted $25 billion acquisition of Sallie Mae by J.C. Flowers and Co.°
- $300 million offering of Metals USA Holdings Corp.°
- $150 million offering of Metals USA Holdings Corp.°
- $2.8 billion acquisition of The Reynolds and Reynolds Company by Universal Computer Systems Holding, Inc.°
- Acquisition of Allied Office Products by Office Depot, Inc.°
- Private Placement of $10 billion of limited partnership interests of Apollo Investment Fund VI, L.P.°
- Private placement of $8 billion of limited partnership interests of Warburg Pincus Private Equity IX, L.P.°
- Acquisition of Priceless…Kid$, Inc. by PK Acquisition LLC.°
- $500 million acquisition of Cole National Corporation by Luxottica Group S.p.A.°
- Acquisition of Capital IQ, Inc. by The McGraw Hill Companies, Inc.°
- Investment in Scientific Games Corporation by MacAndrews and Forbes Holdings Inc.°
- $2.2 billion acquisition of Chateau Communities, Inc. by Hometown America, L.L.C.°
°The above representations were handled by Margaret Isa Butler prior to her joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Advisory Board, Private Equity Program at Columbia Business School, July 2012-Present
- Member, New Vic Council at the New Victory Theater, July 2015-Present
- Board of Directors, Lehman Center for the Performing Arts, June 2012-Present
- Leader, Harvard Club of New York Mergers and Acquisitions Group, September 2009-Present
Mergers and Acquisitions Committee of the New York City Bar Association, September 2009-June 2012
- Board Member, Columbia Business School Alumni Club of South Florida
Awards & Recognition
- Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, New York Metro Super Lawyers, "Rising Stars," 2014
- Listed, The M&A Advisor, "40 Under 40," 2013
- Shortlisted, Euromoney Legal Media Group’s Americas Women in Business Law Awards, "Corporate Rising Star," 2013
- Team Member, Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc., one of "America’s Best Corporate Law Firms," 13th Annual Legal Industry Study, 2013
Media and Telecommunications Investment Banking, Jefferies and Company, Inc., August 2007 – January 2010
Articles, Publications & Lectures
- Presenter, "Impact Investing," Columbia Business School Private Equity Program Deal Camp, December 5, 2015
- Mentioned, "Work-Life Balance Poses Challenges Regardless of Wealth," The New York Times, October 9, 2015
- Judge, Private Equity Program Deal Camp Competition, Columbia Business School, February 17, 2015
- Organizer, "Private Capital Today: Investment Strategies and Opportunities," Co-hosted by the Columbia Business
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
1 Course by Margaret I. Butler
Margaret's courses have 4,780 total views