Joshua A. Stein is a Member of the Firm in the Labor and Employment practice and co-chairs the firm's ADA and Public Accommodations Group, in the New York office of Epstein Becker Green. Mr. Stein’s practice focuses on advising businesses on compliance with all aspects of the Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”), including the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design, and Sections 504 and 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (“Rehabilitation Act”), as well as the Family Medical Leave Act (“FMLA”). He represents clients from numerous industries, including sports and entertainment, retail, cruise line, hospitality and lodging, financial services, publishing, media, and health care.
- Counsels clients on employment law issues, including, but not limited to, ADA/FMLA compliance, accessibility of public accommodations and technology, leave laws, employee discipline, separation and discharge, and harassment
- Defends employers in lawsuits brought in court alleging violations of all aspects of the ADA, the Rehabilitation Act, the FMLA, and/or equivalent state and local laws; employment discrimination; failure to accommodate or provide leave; lack of accessibility; employee discipline and discharge; breach of contract; unfair competition; fraud; defamation; age, race, sex, and national origin discrimination and harassment; tortious interference; and other employment issues
- Represents clients facing charges at the New York City Commission on Human Rights, New York State Division of Human Rights, and U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and in investigations commenced by government regulators, such as the U.S. Department of Justice and offices of State Attorney Generals
- Conducts on-site and plan-based reviews of brick-and-mortar facilities and technology for compliance with the ADA and equivalent state and local laws and codes, as well as reviews and analyses of accessible security pricing and dispersal for places of public assembly, such as stadiums, arenas, and theaters
- Handles multifaceted audits determining the accessibility of client websites
- Interacts with clients’ contractors and vendors regarding compliance issues, and develops and drafts accessibility policies and contract language
- Negotiates, drafts, and reviews separation, settlement, employment, and confidentiality agreements
- Drafts and reviews workplace policies, handbooks, and standard agreements
- Represents clients at industry group meetings and participates in the federal government’s regulatory process relating to the development of new accessibility and leave laws
- Conducts arbitrations, administrative law judge hearings, and employment-dispute mediations before private arbitrators and mediators, government agencies, and the courts
- In addition, Mr. Stein has written about, spoken on, and conducted training on issues pertaining to the ADA, FMLA, Rehabilitation Act, disability discrimination, the accommodation process, access to public accommodations, and best practices.
Prior to joining Epstein Becker Green, Mr. Stein was both a Senior Counsel in the Labor & Employment Department and the Co-Head of the Accessibility & Accommodations Group of a global law firm.