Jonathan L. Israel is a partner and
an experienced sports and labor/employment attorney with Foley & Lardner LLP. He advises and litigates for clients on a wide variety of traditional labor and general employment matters. He practices in diverse industries, including professional, collegiate and Olympic sports, entertainment, media, financial services, hedge and private equity funds,
transportation and retail.
Previously, Mr. Israel was assistant general counsel at the National Basketball Association, where he served as in-house counsel to the NBA and its affiliated entities and teams on labor and employment, litigation, and general corporate matters. He also served as a law clerk to the Honorable Alfred M. Wolin of the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey.
Areas of Concentration
- Sports law
- Equal employment litigation & counseling
- Wage and hour litigation & counseling
- Worker misclassification
- Restrictive covenants & trade secrets
- Traditional labor law
- Employment contracts and separation agreements
- Federal and state agency investigations (e.g., Department of Labor)
- Labor and employment issues in corporate transactions
- WARN Act
- ERISA & employee benefits