Mr. Smith counsels and represents government contractors and subcontractors on a broad range of government contracting issues, including bid protests, contract claims, disputes, as well as government and internal investigations.
- Litigates bid protests before the Government Accountability Office (GAO) and U.S. Court of Federal Claims (COFC), including multiple GAO protests of Department of Health and Human Services’ (HHS) awards of Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) contracts.
- Represents contractors proposed for suspension or debarment and contractors facing potential termination for default.
- Litigates claims before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals (ASBCA). Assists in multi-year claim resulting in nine-figure settlement payment to contractor.
- Conducts internal investigations and also represents contractors in investigations by inspectors general (IGs) of cabinet-level agencies, including representation during employee interviews by IG agents.
- Counsels clients on compliance with the McNamara-O’Hara Service Contract Act (SCA).
- Counsels clients in preparing and maintaining government contracts ethics and compliance programs and performs audits of existing compliance programs.
- Represents pro bono clients in civil litigation, civil rights litigation, and Social Security appeals.
- Research Assistant, Professor M. Elizabeth Magill, University of Virginia School of Law (2007).