Christopher J. Donovan is a partner with Foley & Lardner LLP. He focuses his practice on advising companies and their investors and lenders in mergers and acquisitions, recapitalizations, buyouts and restructurings as well as advising on a broad range of commercial arrangements. Mr. Donovan has particular experience in the health service, particularly post-acute, and life sciences sectors. He has a unique blend of deep regulatory as well as corporate and finance experience to bring to a transaction as a result of his consummating dozens of health and life science deals, both domestic and international. He is a member of the firm’s Health Care and Life Sciences Industry Teams as well as the Private Equity & Venture Capital Practice.
Prior to joining Foley, Mr. Donovan was a member of the Corporate and Health Practice Groups for 29 years in the Boston office of McDermott Will & Emery LLP.
- Mr. Donovan has been Peer Review Rated as AV® Preeminent™, the highest performance rating in Martindale-Hubbell's peer review rating system. He was recently recognized by the Legal 500 for his work in the area of health care – service providers (2014).
- Representative Transactions
- Represented Revera Inc., a leading provider of seniors’ accommodation, in a new co-investment with Health Care REIT in the ownership of the Sunrise Senior Living management company.
- Represented Revera Inc., a leading provider of seniors’ accommodation, care and services, in its formation of a $1.35 (CND) billion joint venture with Health Care REIT, one of North America’s largest seniors housing and health care real estate investment trusts
- Represented a national, private equity backed post acute, complex care management firm in an innovative, market leading joint venture with a regional nonprofit acute care hospital chain to structure ACO ready products and service offerings for full inpatient/outpatient care as well as bundled payment and episodic care service offerings to MCOs
- Represented a German multi-national in connection with its acquisition from a major U.S. life science company of its dental antibiotic product and division consisting of a market leading drug, entire workforce and related supply chain
- Represented a German multi-national in connection with the acquisition of technology assets from a U.S. public company, including assets in the United States, Malaysia, Singapore and Switzerland; work included world-wide anti-trust approvals
- Represented a Canadian publicly-traded long term care company in its $2.7 billion go-private transaction in the United States
- Represented one of the largest global private equity firms in connection with its acquisition of a healthcare information technology service, including regulatory, fraud and abuse and reimbursement related services in the United States
- Represented several major U.S. based skilled nursing and ancillary service providers in connection with acquisition and debt financing transactions totaling over $5 billion
- Represented several private equity companies in the leveraged buyout of a major behavioral health chain
- Outside U.S. general counsel to one of the premier global management consulting firms, including benefits, litigation, bankruptcy, investment, anti-trust, trade and general corporate advice
- Represent a German-based, global precious metals company and U.S. affiliates in numerous U.S. mergers and acquisition involving precious metal manufacturing concerns, including those related to auto OEM products, medical device components and related businesses
- Represented one of the largest US-based private equity firms in connection with U.S. healthcare regulatory matters transactions
Mr. Donovan earned his law degree from Boston College Law School (J.D., 1981). While in law school, Mr. Donovan was a member of the Boston College International Comparative Law Review. His undergraduate degree was conferred, magna cum laude, from Georgetown University (B.S.F.S., 1978).