Illinois has finally adopted formal rules of evidence. Despite the declared intentions of the drafters, these rules do not fully harmonize with Illinois’ common law of evidence and the ad hoc modifications of those rules enacted by the legislature over the years. In Part 6 of his 7-part series entitled "Old Wine in a New Bottle: Illinois Law of Evidence and New Rules of Evidence for Criminal Defense," attorney Stephen L. Richards discusses the rules and case law governing the competence and impeachment of witnesses.
I. Grasp the test for competency
II. Know the issues and considerations when the witness is:
III. Discuss the rules and case law governing the impeachment of witnesses
Areas of Practice
• Murder -- Homicide -- Death Penalty Cases
• Serious Felonies
• Drug / Weapons Cases
• Appeals -- Post-Convictions
• Sentencing -- Mitigation
• Civil Rights/1983
• Legal Education
• Legal Ethics
• 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
• Certified Lead Counsel, Capital Litigation Trial Bar, Illinois Supreme Court, 2001
• Illinois, 1985
• U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 2008
• Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, New York
o J.D. - 1983
o Honors: Order of Barristers, Moot Court
• University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
o Honors: With Honors
o Major: History
• Reasonable Doubt Redux, 34 John Marshall L. Rev. 495, 2001
• The Admissibility of Expert Testimony, American Bar Association, 2003
• People v. Terry Griggs, 152 Ill.2d 1, 604 N.E.2d 257 (Ill. S. Ct. 1992)
• People v. Arthur King, 154 Ill.2d 217, 608 N.E.2d 877 (Ill. S. Ct. 1993)
• New Ideas for Jury Selection, Illinois Public Defender Association, 2007
• Capital Jury Selection, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal, 2007
Honors and Awards
• Kutak-Dodds Award, Defender Prize, National Legal Aid and Defender Association, 2003
Professional Associations and Memberships
• Illinois Public Defender Association, President, 2006 - 2008
• Illinois Public Defender Association, Board Member, 2000 - Present
Past Employment Positions
• Office of the State Appellate Defender, Deputy Defender, 2000 - 2008
• Law Office of the Cook County Public Defender, Assistant Public Defender, 1989 - 2000
Would strongly recommend--materials not generally covered in most programs.
Excellent course & material. Very good presentation.
We need more lectures from seasoned practitioners like Mr. Richards. His series on Illinois evidentiary law is one of your best ever, and I look forward to more of his presentations in the future.
Excellent like the previous 5.
Witness competency discussion very helpful
Unlimited CLE Subscription gives you access to take almost any course from our catalog and earn as much CLE credit as you need.