An Article 81 Guardianship Primer: Elder Law Basics in New York
Created on December 18, 2017
This one hour webcast is meant as a foundation course for the non-elder law attorney, attorneys new to the elder law practice area interested in learning more about this important legal proceeding, or any attorney who needs a refresher.
This presentation, led by Veronica Escobar, will provide the viewer with an Article 81 Proceeding roadmap that will define incapacity, instruct on the how to's of a Guardianship petition, the evidentiary standard at hearing, as well as the hearing itself. The presenter will also touch upon post-guardianship hearing issues.
- Identify the signs of possible incapacity, as well as the different types of incapacity that can lend itself to an Article 81 proceeding
- Discuss the steps to be taken to draft an Article 81 petition, as well as the important elements to said petition
- Consider the role of different parties in the proceeding, particularly that of the Alleged Incapacitated Person (AIP)
- Explore the Article 81 hearing from soup to nuts, as well as the types of findings made by jurists
- Comprehend the additional Guardian responsibilities that become effective post-hearing
Gain access to this course, plus unlimited access to 1,700+ courses, with an Unlimited Subscription.Explore Lawline Subscriptions