- Firm: Seyfarth Shaw, LLP
- Web Site: http://www.seyfarth.com
Richard Schwartz is a partner in the Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Department of Seyfarth Shaw LLP. His practice involves all aspects of employee benefits law, including plan design of both pension and welfare plans under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA) and the Internal Revenue Code. A significant part of his practice involves the special tax and ERISA rules that apply to tax-exempt, nonprofit organizations.
Mr. Schwartz's experience includes the following:
* Designs and implements "top-hat" plans, non-qualified deferred compensation arrangements, and severance plans developed in connection with reductions-in-force.
* Advises clients with respect to tax-qualified plans, and has significant experience negotiating and resolving tax qualification defects, fiduciary breaches, and delinquent filling issues under the Internal Revenue Service and Department of Labor voluntary compliance programs.
* Advises employers on employee benefit implications of corporate affiliations, particularly in the health care industry, such as affiliations among hospitals, physicians and management service organizations.
* Counsels clients on corporate matters relating to tax-exempt and nonprofit organizations.
Mr. Schwartz regularly lectures around the country and authors articles on various aspects of ERISA and employee benefits law. He has appeared as a guest commentator discussing portability of health insurance and other benefits issues on Court TV's Legal Café.
LL.M., Taxation, New York University School of Law (1990)
J.D., Boston University School of Law (1986)
B.A., Queens College, the City University of New York (1983)
* New York
* New Jersey