|News Beat||Law School||Careers||Marketing||Entrepreneurs||Malpractice|
|Business||CLE||Employer Law||Firms||Lawyers||Lawline News|
on an array of different topics. Choose from the categories above or just view the most recent articles here.
Friday Five: Increase Your Online Exposure
Lawyers' Guide to Marketing Your Website: Google Adwords
Lawyers' Guide to Marketing Your Website: Lawyer Blogs
Lawyer's Guide to Marketing Your Website: Search Engine Optimization
Posted: February 22nd, 2008
By: Zach Heller
Category: Business Development Skills, Friday Five, Lawline.com, Marketing Tips, SEO
The internet is a quickly becoming the main focus of advertising and marketing for every industry, including the law. There is no substitute for online exposure, as many professionals are learning the hard way. You have to stay one step ahead of your colleagues if you are going to attract more potential clients your way. At Lawline.com, we have worked with numerous attorneys to help them build their “internet brand recognition”. The goal is to get your name out there as many places as possible to begin to develop your own online network. Here are some tips.
TOP FIVE WAYS TO INCREASE YOUR ONLINE EXPOSURE
1. Write Articles. One of the best ways to associate your name with a particular topic or area of expertise is to write about it. Attorneys are always trying to get published, and the internet makes it easier than ever. There are hundreds of websites out there that will take article submission from people in their network. Most of them are free to join. Submit your articles for people to read and your name will begin to gain exposure.
2. Join Networks and Directories. Martindale-Hubbell, FindLaw, Lexis Nexis, and the Lawline.com Featured Attorney Directory are just a few of the popular attorney directories online. There are many more like them and it is important to have yourself listed in as many as possible. You may have to spend some money on a subscription fee but the value is well worth the cost. These directories are well known and visited often.
3. Write a Blog. Blogs are a great way to get your name and ideas out into the online world. They are easy to start with many websites offering free blog hosting and templates. The only trick is you have to commit some time to stick with it. Add to it often, write about interesting news and trends that apply to your practice area, and people will read it. It is a great way to boost your search engine visibility.
4. Update Your Website. Websites today have begun to move away from the traditional one page information source, where all you see is a picture, an attorney bio, and a contact number. Many attorneys are starting to add more to their website to make it engaging and interactive. People visiting the site want to be interested. You have to stand out from the crowd to truly make a name for yourself online.
5. Continuing Legal Education Programs. CLE is moving online, and it is becoming much more of a marketing tool than ever before. If you speak on a topic that directly relates to your practice area, others will see it and hear about it. At Lawline.com, our faculty members gain immediate online exposure related to their Continuing Legal Education course. These courses are displayed online and show up in search engines. They are a great source of personal networking and referrals.
These are only a few of the ways attorneys can begin to market themselves on the internet. The best thing about the world of online marketing, you can be as creative as you want. The goal is to have your name associated with your individual area of expertise anywhere someone might look.
Posted: December 5th, 2007
By: Zach Heller
Category: Law Firms, Lawline.com, Marketing Tips, SEO, Technology Corner, Videos
In a continuing effort to help lawyers learn how to better market their websites and increase their online presence, Lawline.com has created a video series of how-to guides. Part 3 of Lawline.com’s series is entitled An Intro to Google Adwords. In the following video we discuss the importance of Adwords and some of the basic things you can do to get started.
Google has many services that they offer to help businesses and consumers alike. Their services cover everything you can think of that make the online experience simpler and more enjoyable. Google Adwords is certainly one of the most important programs they run. It is their main source of revenue and it continues to grow every year because people can see the results.
Running an advertisement on Adwords is so easy it’s no wonder the idea is spreading like wildfire. For lawyers, placing these ads with Google can do a number of things to help you stand out from other lawyers and law firms out there. It can place you on the first page of Google searches, which is more important now than ever before as people are shifting to the web as a way to find everything they need. They also help you target specific regions and keywords so you can show your ad to all the right people. And the best thing about it is that the service costs only the amount you choose to spend. You can set daily budgets as low as you want.
Please enjoy the video below, and to get started with Google Adwords you can visit the website: http://www.adwords.google.com.
Posted: November 26th, 2007
By: Zach Heller
Category: Business Development Skills, Law Firms, Lawline.com, Marketing Tips, SEO, Technology Corner, Videos
In a continuing effort to help lawyers learn how to better market their websites and increase their online presence, Lawline.com has created a video series of how-to guides. Part 2 of Lawline.com’s series is entitled An Intro to Blogging for Lawyers. In the following video we discuss the importance of blogging and some of the basic ways to get started. It is no secret that everything we do in the world is shifting to the web, and this is a major form of communication that cannot be ignored by any professional who hopes to reach potential clients or customers.
Some of the major reasons to start blogging are to increase the amount of content you put online and to help improve your search engine rankings. Search engines like blogs because they constantly get updated and keep content fresh. It is important to add to your blog often, keep it current. Blogs are special because they add the ability to create many links to your site and other relevant sites like yours. In addition, other sites will link to your blog as a reference. This is all helpful for search engine optimization.
To get started the best thing you can do is a find a blogging service that matches your budget. There are many companies out there that have built blogs that are easily duplicated and cost little to add to your site. These services are good because they allow you to create the look and feel of an established blog right away. And once you have it set up, just start writing. Take a few minutes each day or week to write something short and to the point. It is up to you what to write about, just know your audience and create something they would be interested in reading. That will create an increase in traffic to your site, add to your “online brand”, and get your site ranked higher.
Please take a moment to enjoy the video below.
Posted: November 14th, 2007
By: Zach Heller
Category: Innovation, Lawline.com, Marketing Tips, SEO, Videos
Here at Lawline.com we have had the privilege of working side by side with many lawyers and law firms. Through those interactions, we have learned that many lawyers out there have a few complaints when it comes to marketing and business development. More specifically, we have been asked by many lawyers to help them better market themselves online. We figured that if the lawyers we talked to needed help, so did many others across the country. That was the premise for the Lawyer’s Guide to Marketing Your Website, a series of videos and podcasts designed to help teach lawyers how increase their online visibility.
The first part in this series is an introduction to search engine optimization. Search engine optimization (SEO) is all about making your website more search engine friendly, leading to better rankings in Google, Yahoo, Ask, and other popular search engines. This will increase traffic to the site and hopefully lead to more business for you. For lawyers, it is important to get your name or firm name out to the public as much as possible to reach new clients daily. This is an example of how you can do that very easily.
In the video below we will go over a simple 5 step process to getting started. Step 1 is simple, set up a plan and a timeline for what you would like to accomplish in terms of SEO. Be realistic because this is a process that will take time and effort on your part. Step 2 is to select important keywords that you would like to rank more highly for. These keywords should be specific phrases that people are searching to get to your website. It is important to remember that general phrases are going to be more difficult because there is more competition.
Step 3 is to use those keywords everywhere. Your website is full of places to put keywords, including but not limited to text, links, images, titles, descriptions, and Meta tags. The more these keywords become a relevant part of your web pages, the more a search engine like Google will see them. Step 4 is to actively set up a link network. Links to your site are one of the most important factors in ranking highly. Your site becomes credible if other sites refer to it as a source of information. And finally, the last step, though very cliché, is to stick with it. SEO is a continual process of staying ahead of the game. The rules will change from time to time and it is important not to get caught with a stale website that search engines lose track of.
Please enjoy the video below and look for Part 2 of our series on marketing your website next week.